Wayanad in Kerala is a nature lovers dream come true destination. It is a destination that is surely to steal your heart with its serene and virgin environs, mist clad mountains, spice scented winds of spice plantations and dense forests. If you are yet to decide where to go this summer, Wayanad is the perfect choice for you.
A district in North east Kerala Wayanad is a green region in Kerala known for its natural beauty, wildlife sanctuaries and stunning landscapes.
Things to Do In Wayanad
- Chembra Peak : Chembra Peak is the highest and most beautiful peak in Wayanad. Trekking amidst pleasing tea plantations is the main highlight of this place. Make sure you get permission from Forest Office in Meppadi for trekking here.
- Hridayasarasu Lake : A stunning lake that offers a panoramic view of the surrounding hills of Wayanad.
- Kuruvadweep : An isolated island on Kabani River, Kuruvadweep is a must see in Wayanad. Rarely spotted aves, orchids and herbs find their habitat over here. Picnicking at this spot is a great idea for families and friends.
- Pookode Lake and Lakkidi View Point are two places of tourist attraction close by. The surreal surroundings visible from Lakkidi and lush green surroundings of Pookode Lake would surely please your senses like never before.
- Meenmutty waterfalls : The spectacular Meenmutty falls , is a three stage fall and can be reached through a 2 km trekking route.
- Chethalayam: another lovely waterfall located close to Sulthan Bathery in the northern part of Wayanad.
Thirunelli Temple : a beautifully architectured temple with 30 granite columns. What makes the place even more soothing is the greenery all around and transparent water of Papanasini River flowing downhill near the temple.
- Edakkal Caves: If you are a group of crazy adventure lover friends, the trek of rocky mountains of Edakkal Caves would leave you spellbound. The carvings date back to 800 decades and fancy archaeologists and historians worldwide.
- Pakshipathalam : a wonderful place for trekkers and birdwatchers. There is a watch tower in this bird sanctuary from where you can spot uncommon birds species.
Relax with Naturopathy and Ayurveda
Naturopathy lovers should surely visit Boys town located 15 kilometers from Mananthavady. Visit the herbal garden, nature care centre, sericulture unit and perma-culture centre over here. There are many Ayurvedic resorts and spas like the Ayurkendra and Vythiri Village that offer excellent ayurvedic packages and stay options too.
- Nagarhole Wildlife Sanctuary :Located at around 40 kilometers from Mananthavady, Wayanad. This is a place with flora and fauna abound, it is the perfect place if you are seeking for some action and adventure in your vacation.
- Wayanad Wildlife Sanctuary popular for elephants, deer and Indian Bison is another marvel of nature since 1973. Seek permission from Wildlife Warden of Muthunga Wildlife Sanctuary and set off for an incredible sojourn amidst enchanting flora, fauna and tribals.
For shopping freaks, the bamboo factory of Uravu is a must visit if you wish to get souvenirs as a memory of this idyllic destination.
Most of the resorts and luxury hotels have their own bars and discotheque. Feel like dancing? You can do so at one of the discotheques or clubs of Wayanad.
Where To Stay
Wayanad can spoil you with choices to stay. From resort, lovely budget hotels, hostels, wonderful home-stays to tree house resorts- Wayanad has it all.
How To Reach Wayanad
Nearest airport is Karipur International Airport at Kozhikode (100 kms) Nearest Railhead is also Kozhikode (100 kms).You can book a cab to reach Wayanad. Private deluxe buses and state buses ply from Bengaluru, Chennai and Thiruvananthapuram.
Get your tickets confirmed right away and set off to Wayanad far away from the scorching heat of cities.