Varkala is relatively unexploited sea side destination and a perfect place to enjoy solitude. Varkala is also a backpacker and hippie haven with many hostels and small cafes dotted all over.
A small town located 51 km north of Thiruvananthapuram and 37 km south of Kollam in Kerala.
- Papanasam Beach : A beach with mineral springs. Do not miss out the spectacular sun sets on this beach.
- Black Beach lies in the northern part and it is comparatively less exploited.
- Odayam Beach. Walk a little further north and you will some across the quiet Odayam Beach with least tourist footfall.
- Edava Beach is an ideal spot for soaking up the sun and relaxation.
A sidewalk along the cliff edge by the beaches makes it absolutely easy to explore.
Places to Visit
- Shree Janardhana Swamy Temple, a 2000 year old Vishnu temple and one of the most popular pilgrimage places for Hindus. Also visit Sivagiri Mutt built by Narayana Guru.
- Visit Kappil Lake for spectacular views of the backwater merging with Arabian Sea. Visit Akathumuri, Kadakkavur Backwaters and enjoy a boat ride in backwaters.
Things to Do
- Surfing: Varkala beach is great for surfing. With not very high waves and a sandy sea bed, this a great place for first time surfers.
- Parasailing: Varkala Beach offers parasailing option in winter months .
- Shop: The Northern Cliff is a shoppers paradise with quaint shops selling varied stuff.
- Enjoy Yoga and Ayurveda : Try yoga sessions or opt for ayurvedic massages at Krishnatheeram Ayur Holy Beach Resort.
There are not many places to enjoy nightlife in Varkala. The parties are limited to resorts and other private hotels.
November to March is the best season with maximum temperatures around 30 degree Celsius. However, can be visited throughout the year, due to pleasant tropical climate.
Where To Stay
There are guest houses, budget hotels and luxurious beach resorts in Varkala. The Gateway Hotel of Taj is for luxurious stay. To enjoy excellent sea view from your cottage Maadathil Cottages or Palm Tree Bungalow are best choices.
How To Reach
Varkala Beach makes for an ideal, fun and rejuvenating vacation without burning a hole in your pocket.
Also Read 5 Unseen Beaches of Kerala