Gokarna is a quaint town with old world charms and spectacular beaches. Till few years back it was a typical Hindu pilgrim town, but has recently become a favourite destination of tourists from across the world in search of sea, sand and sun. With picturesque beaches fringed by palm trees and green hills of Western Ghats Gokarna is the new found hippie beach destination. Gokarna beach is a haven for backpackers and beach lovers looking for a slow paced holiday by the sea.
Gokarna is small town in the Uttara Kannada district of Karnataka, India. It is just 4-5 hours drive away from main Goa.
Things to do
- Adventure Activities: Gokarna with its huge serene beaches offers many water sports activities. Try our banana boat rides, snorkelling, parasailing and swimming at the Om and Kudle beach.
- Soak Up the Sun: Just come here to enjoy the beaches, its a perfect place to come and stay for months or weeks and soak up the sun.
- Learn Yoga: Learn Yoga by the sea, get healthy and enjoy.
The four main beaches here are the Kudle Beach , Paradise Beach, the Half Moon Beach , and Om Beach.
- Kudle Beach is a cresent shaped here located approximately 2 kilometers away from the main town. A laid back while sand palm fringed beach favored by all the tourists, ideal for swimming and idling.
- Paradise Beach is a picturesque and secluded place (that gives it the name) but is a rocky beach, where waves are constantly crashing violently on rocky shores.
- The Om Beach , is a great beach and the most famed beach in Gokarna. A little crowded at all times with lots of touristy activities like water skiing, surfing and banana boat cruising
- Half Moon Beach can be reached only on foot or by a boat from Om beach and is again a serene and scheduled place where one can have a great time swimming, sun bathing and maybe enjoying some beach games.
The Mahabaleshwar Temple that houses Atmalinga attracts a lot of Hindu pilgrims to this town. It is believed that this linga was given to Ravana by Lord Shiva himself. The other prominent temples here are the Maha Ganapathi temple, the Bhadrakali Temple and the Varadaraja temple.
There are no many bars and pubs in Gokarna but yes you can easily get a cold beer in the bars over here. The nightlife is about bon-fires on the beach with guitars, drums, music and friends.
October – March are the best months to visit Gokarna when the climate is pleasant with temperatures averaging to 30 degrees. June to August are the monsoon months, when one can witness plenty of rain.
Gokarna has many budget hotels but it is always better to opt for a homestay or a guest house such as Suragi Guest House . You can even find huts and shacks by the beach that offer cheap staying options but there will be almost no amenities.
There are a few luxury resorts near the beach too, such as Gokarna International Beach Resort in Kudle Beach for those who want to spend a holiday with all comforts. If you are looking for some yoga lessons along with a beach holiday check out the Namaste Yoga Farm on a hill near Kudle Beach.
For the backpackers there is Zostel Gokarna on a near Kudle Beach and the beach view from here is pretty spectacular.
How to Reach Gokarna
Nearest Airport is Goa Dabolim Airport and the nearest railhead is Gokarna Road station, 15 minutes from town. Gokarna is also well connected by bus from Madgaon in Goa, Mangalore and Bangalore or hire a cab.
Gokarna Beach is the answer for all those who are tired of the crowds and high prices of Goa.A beach lover’s paradise, a perfect getaway with sea, sun and sand.